WHO WE ARE
The John McGivney Children’s Centre (JMCC) therapeutic recreation team utilizes recreation and other activity-based interventions to promote optimal health for children and youth with special needs. We work closely with families to set goals and develop programs that will improve kids’ physical, cognitive, social, emotional and spiritual functioning in order to strengthen independence and encourage full participation in everyday life.
These activity-based programs may include:
- Sports: Boccia, basketball, golf, dance, cheerleading, bowling, swimming, yoga, track and field
- Arts: Drama, music therapy, photography
- Social: Teen clubs, girls groups, boys game nights
- Other: Cooking courses, outdoor exploration, community outings
Through active participation in these and other programs, we support the physical, mental and emotional well-being of our clients by seeking to reduce depression, stress and anxiety; improve basic motor functioning and reasoning abilities; build confidence; and socialize effectively.
WHAT WE DO
- Assess client needs, abilities, strengths and interests in order to direct a therapeutic recreation intervention plan
- Work with families to set goals and encourage active family involvement in helping to achieve these goals
- Develop recreation programs that will encourage kids to achieve health goals while participating in activities they enjoy
- Reinforce many of the physiotherapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy goals by using age-appropriate activities that add fun opportunities for repetition and practice in the context of play
- Help integrate children and youth with special needs into community programs that interest them
- Advocate for a more accepting and inclusive Windsor-Essex community by building strong relationships, breaking down barriers to participation and modifying activities to provide opportunities to children and youth with various abilities
These services are offered both in our Centre and in the Windsor-Essex community.
ELIGIBILITY & REFERRALS
TTherapeutic recreation services are offered to children and youth under the age of 19, and young people between the ages of 19 and 21 who remain in secondary school and reside in Windsor and Essex County.
Children and youth under the age of 21 who are receiving a service from JMCC are eligible for therapeutic recreation. Our recreation therapist works to remove barriers for clients to encourage full participation, however, some participant criteria exists and varies depending on the program or activity (e.g. age, interest, ability to follow instruction).
Children and youth under the age of 21 who are not existing JMCC clients are also eligible for therapeutic recreation if there is a demonstrated need. Families are encouraged to self-refer to this program by completing the referral form
and our recreation therapist will communicate with families about their child or youth becoming a client of JMCC.
Check out the resources section for a list of our current and past programs!