Fine & Gross Motor Activities for Spring & Summer
May 4, 2021
JMCC OTs put together a list of fun, family activities to work on fine motor and gross motor skills at home in the spring and summer!
Fine motor activities to encourage hand and finger strength, visual motor control (pencil and scissor skills) and dexterity:
Letter formation, drawing and printing activities:
- Make cookies; roll and knead cookie dough; use cookie cutters to cut out different shapes.
- Draw/colour a picture of you and your favourite springtime activity.
- Paint rocks. See video link: https://youtu.be/eETcernokgE
- Make spring crafts involving colouring, cutting and gluing. Here is an easy idea: https://youtu.be/vzUrq-EfWvw
- Do spring themed mazes, dot-to-dots and tracing
Gross motor activities to work on balance, upper-extremity coordination and control:
- Make letters out of playdough. Check out this video: https://youtu.be/DVGVYKcjEso
- Print letters or draw pictures on the sidewalk or easel using chalk. Check out this video: https://youtu.be/R1RY2hMAiX0
- Print letters or words in shaving cream, whip cream, pudding or soap on a mirror or cookie tray.
- Start a nature journal. Print what you see.
- Write short letters or post cards to family and friends.
- Help write lists (ex. groceries, things to do on a rainy day, types of animals, etc.), practice on lined paper whenever possible
Return to News
- Fly a kite or blow and chase bubbles
- Play catch with different sized balls.
- Have wheelbarrow races in the grass.
- Go for a nature hunt walk, search for certain items like pine cones, leaves, flowers, bugs, etc.
- Play hopscotch or jump rope.
- Jump and play in puddles.
- Make a chalk obstacle course. Check out this vidoe: https://youtu.be/-NkJxXtGuAI